Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
CJ Webmaster Forums Forum Index -> PHP Scripts » CJ Send Page

Error with $link = $HTTP_REFERER;
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melissa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Error with $link = $HTTP_REFERER; Reply with quote

When I installed the script (non popup version) I get the following error:

"Notice: Undefined variable: HTTP_REFERER in D:\Domains\competencematters.co.uk\wwwroot\send\friend.php on line 2"

Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.
darkcarnival
CJ-Design.com Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a dummy error Wink

ignore the error as it means nothing at all Smile

it is simply telling you that a variable hasnt been used yet, its really a pointless error, if you could, go in your php.ini file and edit the error reporting to remove that type of error.

Elite Bulletin Board, comming soon!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Melissa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.
It appears when I click on the "Send This Page" link at the top of my form - and where is the php.ini file? *confused*
PHPDUMMY
CJ-Design.com Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melissa wrote:
k.
It appears when I click on the "Send This Page" link at the top of my form - and where is the php.ini file? *confused*

The php.ini configuration file may not be at your disposal unless you are your own host.

To locate you php.ini file , go to [Start] , [Search] , [Look in hidden files] , type in "php.ini"] .
Otherwise , if your host provides access to the php.ini file , try looking around for information regarding the php.ini file at your host .

Forgive me , but I'm thinking that the "Send Page" Script sent the page by e-mail , your host may or may not have the sendmail kernel enabled.PHP utilizes the sendmail kernel of the system inwhich the web-site is being hosted on. Some hosts choose to not permit web-site e-mail usage either in order to cut out spam or because thei main site has already been listed as a spam host and the site may of chose to disable the sendmail kernel from any further abuse.

Any site that uses the sendmail kernel usually poses a threat to the site itself if not properly monitored because spammers will try to get through and "Piggy-Back" the kernel and flog their spam through an innocent web-site.

Well , thats getting long and boring and I may be wrong about the "Send Page" sending the page by e-mail anyways........chatter.....chatter......

Cheers,
Danny
PHPDUMMY
CJ-Design.com Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the original posted question:::::::

"Notice: Undefined variable: HTTP_REFERER in D:\Domains\competencematters.co.uk\wwwroot\send\friend.php on line 2"

Properly secured networks will not permit any type of scripting to occur which internally identifies the computer, in which case this portion of the script is asking for HTTP_REFERER information , once a return of nothing has happened then the script is left in awww..... so it is creating an error inside the script. This is no big deal , but as more and more people are beginning to learn how to properly secure their computer from web-sites requesting certain identifiable information that some scripts requests , dont be to alarmed when you get this error in your log files.

Cheers,
Danny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CJ Webmaster Forums Forum Index -> PHP Scripts » CJ Send Page All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: